I received my Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in early 2001. After working as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow and then a Research Scientist in the same institution for four more years, I joined the faculty at the University of Denver in Fall 2005. I received my M.S. degree from the University of Missouri-Rolla (now Missouri University of Science and Technology, or MUST) in 1997 and my Bachelor's degree in Automotive Engineering from Tsinghua University, China in 1994. Before I came to the U.S., I worked at Shanghai Automotive Research Institute for nearly one year. Click here to learn more.
- Engineering Mechanics I
- Engineering Mechanics III
- Machine Design
- Fluid Mechanics/Heat Transfer I
- Fluid Mechanics/Heat Transfer II
- Fluid Mechanics/Heat Transfer III
- Introduction to Engineering Computational Tools
- Advanced Numerical Methods
- Numerical Methods
- Materials Science II
- Mechanics of Materials
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials
My research interests span several different areas in mechanical engineering. While my earlier work concentrated on thermoelastic instabilities in automotive applications, my current research activities are mainly in the emerging areas of micro/nanoscale material systems and mechanics. Of particular interest to me are 1) thermoelastic damping-related energy dissipation in MEMS/NEMS systems, and 2) mechanical and electrical properties of multiscale particulate/fibrous heterogeneous materials. I am also interested in numerical modeling of biosystems, such as probabilistic simulation of the dynamics of macromolecules. Please click the following links to learn more about my research.
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2001
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla,1997
B.S. in Automotive Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1994
2011-now, Associate Professor, Mechanical & Materials Engineering, University of Denver
2005-2011,Assistant Professor, Mechanical & Materials Engineering, University of Denver
2003-2005,Assistant Research Scientist, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
2001-2003,Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
1999-2000,Summer Intern, Ford Motor Company Scientific Research Lab, Michigan
1994-1995,Design Engineer, Shanghai Automotive Research Institute, China
- Guo, X., Yi, Y.B., and Pourkamali, S., (2013), A Finite Element Analysis of Thermoelastic Damping in Vented MEMS Beam Resonators, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 74, pp. 73-82.
- Guo, X., Yi, Y.B., and Pourkamali, S., (2013), Thermal-Piezoresistive Resonators and Self-Sustained Oscillators for Gas Recognition and Pressure Sensing, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13(8), pp.2863-2872.
- Zhao, J., Ma, B., Li, H., and Yi, Y.B., (2013), The Effect of Lubrication Film Thickness on Thermoelastic Instability under Fluid Lubricating Condition, Wear, Vol. 303, pp. 146-153.
- Yi, Y.B., (2013), Stochastic Modeling of Macromolecular Motions Through Post Arrays, International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, Vol. 11(4), pp.347-358.
- Yi, Y. B. and Esmail, K., (2012), Computational Measurement of Void Percolation Thresholds of Oblate Particles and Thin Plate Composites, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 111, art. 124903.
- Yi, Y.B. and Bendawi, A., (2012), Effect of Convective Cooling on Frictionally Excited Thermoelastic Instability, Wear, Vol. 296, pp. 583-589.
- Yi, Y.B., (2010), Finite Element Analysis of Thermoelastic Damping in Contour-Mode Vibrations of Micro- and Nanoscale Ring, Disk, and Elliptical Plate Resonators, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 132 (4), art. 041015, pp.1-7.
- Tawerghi, E. and Yi, Y. B., (2009), A Computational Study on the Effective Properties of Two-phase Heterogeneous Media Containing Particulate Inclusions, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 42(17), art. 175409, pp.1-10.
- Yi, Y. B., Rahafrooz, A., and Pourkamali, S., (2009), Modeling and Testing of the Collective Effects of Thermoelastic and Fluid Damping on Silicon MEMS Resonators, Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, and MOEMS, Vol. 8, art.023010, pp.1-7.
- Yi, Y. B. and Tawerghi, E., (2009), Geometric Percolation Thresholds of Interpenetrating Plates in Three-dimensional Space, Physical Review E, Vol. 79, art.041134, pp.1-6.
- Yi, Y. B., (2008), The Role of Interparticle Contact in Conductive Properties of Random Particulate Materials, Acta Materialia, Vol. 56, pp.2810-2818.
- Tang, H. W., Yi, Y. B., and Matin, M. A., (2008), Predictive Modeling of Thermoelastic Energy Dissipation in Tunable MEMS Mirrors, Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, and MOEMS, Vol. 7, art.023004, pp.1-8.
- Zhang, T. and Yi, Y. B., (2008), A Monte Carlo Simulation of Effective Electrical Conductivity in Coated Fibers, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, art. 014910, pp. 1-7.
- Yi, Y. B., (2008), Geometric Effects on Thermoelastic Damping in MEMS Resonators, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 309, pp. 588-599.
- Matin, M. A., Yi, Y. B. and Gogte, V., (2007), Modeling and Analysis of a Low Actuation Voltage MEM-mirror with Spring Structure for Tunable Optical Filter, Journal of Micro/Nanolithography, MEMS, and MOEMS, Vol. 6, art.023011, pp. 1-8.
- Yi, Y. B. and Matin, M. A., (2007), Eigenvalue Solution of Thermoelastic Damping in Beam Resonators Using a Finite Element Analysis, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol 129, pp. 478-483.
- Yi, Y. B., (2006), Void Percolation and Conduction of Overlapping Ellipsoids, Physical Review E, Vol. 74, art. 031112, pp.1-6.
- Yi, Y. B., (2006), Finite Element Analysis of Thermoelastodynamic Instability Involving Frictional Heating, ASME Journal of Tribology, Vol. 128, pp. 718-724.
- Yi, Y. B. and Lengsfeld, C. S., (2006), Mechanical Modeling of Carbonic Anhydrase Motion in Simple Channels, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 100, art.014701, pp.1-7.
- Leinninger, G. M., Backus, C., Sastry, A. M., Yi, Y. B., Wang, C. W., and Feldman, E. L., (2006), Mitochondria in DRG Neurons Undergo Hyperglycemic Mediated Injury Through Bim, Bax and the Fission Protein Drp1, Neurobiology of Disease, Vol. 23, pp. 11-22.
- Yi, Y. B., Wang, C. W. and Sastry, A. M., (2006), Compression of Packed Particulate Systems: Simulations and Experiments in Graphitic Li-ion Anodes, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 128(1), pp.73-80.
- Paso, K., Senra, M., Yi, Y. B., Sastry, A. M., and Fogler, H. S., (2005), Paraffin Polydispersity Facilitates Mechanical Gelation, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research , Vol. 44(18), pp. 7242-7254.
- Venkatesan, R., Nagarajan, N. R., Paso, K., Yi, Y.B., Sastry, A.M., and Fogler, H.S., (2004), The Strength of Paraffin Gels Formed under Static and Flow Conditions, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 60, pp. 3587-3598.
- Yi, Y. B., Wang, H., and Sastry, A. M., and Lastoskie, C. M., (2005), Multilevel Direct Stochastic Simulation of Ca2+ Motion in Cells, Physical Review E, Vol. 72, art. 021913, pp. 1-12.
- Wang, C. W., Yi, Y. B., and Sastry, A. M., (2004), Particle Compression and Conductivity in Li-Ion Anodes with Graphite Additives, Journal of Electrochemical Society, Vol. 151(9), pp. A1489-A1498.
- Yi, Y. B., Wang, C. W., and Sastry, A. M., (2004), Two-dimensional versus Three-dimensional Clustering and Percolation in Fields of Overlapping Elllipsoids, Journal of Electrochemical Society, Vol. 151(8), pp. A1292-A1300.
- Yi, Y. B., Berhan, L. M., and Sastry, A. M., (2004), Statistical Geometry of Random Fibrous Networks, Revisited: Waviness, Dimensionality and Percolation, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 96(3), pp. 1318-1327.
- Yi, Y. B. and Sastry, A. M., (2004), Analytical Approximation of Percolation Threshold for Overlapping Ellipsoids, Proc. Royal Society of London Series A, Vol. 460, pp. 2353-2380.
- Berhan, L., Yi, Y. B., Sastry, A. M., Munoz, E, Selvidge, M., and Baughman, R., (2004), Mechanical Properties of Nanotube Sheets: Alterations in Joint Morphology, and Achievable Moduli in Manufacturable Materials, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 95(8), pp. 4335-4345.
- Berhan, L., Yi, Y. B., and Sastry, A. M., (2004), Effect of Nanorope Waviness on the Effective Moduli of Nanotube Sheets, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 95(9),pp.5027-5034.
- Yi, Y. B. and Sastry, A. M., (2002), Analytical Approximation of the Two-Dimensional Percolation Threshold for Fields of Overlapping Ellipses, Physical Review E, Vol. 66, art.066130, pp.1-8.
- Yi, Y. B., Barber, J. R., and Zagrodzki, P., (2000), Eigenvalue Solution of Thermoelastic Instability Problems Using Fourier Reduction, Proc. Royal Society of London Series A, Vol. 456, pp. 2799-2821.
- Yi, Y. B., Du, S., Barber, J. R., and Fash, J. W., (1999), Effect of Geometry on Thermoelastic Instability in Disk Brakes and Clutches, ASME Journal of Tribology, Vol. 121, pp. 661-666.
Yi, Y. B., Barber, J. R., and Hartsock, D. L., (2002), Thermoelastic instabilities in automotive disc Brakes - Finite element analysis and experimental verification, in J.A.C.Martins and Manuel D.P.Monteiro Marques eds., Contact Mechanics, Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp. 187-202.
- Yi, Y.B., (2013), Perturbation Methods in Thermoelastic Instability (TEI) with Finite Element Implementation, Encyclopedia of Thermal Stresses, Springer.
- Yi, Y.B., (2013), Thermoelastic Damping in Resonators, Encyclopedia of Thermal Stresses, Springer.
Yi, Y. B. and Barber, J. R., HotSpotter -A Method and Apparatus for Predicting the Critical Rotational Speed at Which a Clutch or a Multi-disk Brake Will Exhibit Hot Spots as a Result of Thermoelastic Instability, Copyright(C), the University of Michigan, 2001.